Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Contemplative

I've had several post ideas bouncing around back and forth in my head lately, but when it comes time to write they're not there. I want to make notes to myself to write about them, but I think if I get any bit of it written my brain will stop formulating. Yes, I know that sounds a bit crazy, but it's a solid fact of motherhood that what you write down becomes history and no longer sticks in your head as something to be finished. The written item holds that piece of your brain for you, so your brain lets go and picks up something else to run with, like the latest talent displayed by one of your children or the latest household project or even just the dinner menu. Any or all of them can and will flood into the space left behind and sweep out any vestiges of what was there before.

It's funny to me that in the days before I had children, I could easily jot down writing ideas for college papers and whatnot and pick right back up. But now that I'm more capable of handling life in general and dealing with the intricate details of the lives of several other people, I've lost that. Motherhood changes you in so many ways and it is sometimes very interesting to notice some seemingly insignificant change affecting your life in new endeavors when you least expect it.

No comments: