Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Adventures in showering with a toddler

Having a toddler can make it difficult to do even the most basic daily tasks like showering. Most days I don't manage to get up early enough to shower before he's up, so I just take him in the shower with me. This gets us both clean and keeps him (mostly) out of trouble.

This morning's shower was a typical example of how things go.
Mommy: "Are you ready for a shower?"
Toddler: "No shower!"
Mommy: "I'm going to get a shower. You can just play in the bathroom while I bathe, then."
Toddler: (seeing Mommy getting into the shower)"Bath! Shirt OFF!"(his way of asking to get in)
Mommy: "O.K. there you go. Clothes off and in the tub we go."
Toddler spends time playing with a toy car and picking up shampoo and conditioner bottles to hand to Mommy.
Mommy washes her hair, then moves out of the water so toddler can play while she bathes.
Toddler begins spinning and making light gasping noises while Mommy is occupied.
Mommy: "What's the matter? Did you turn off the hot water?"
Mommy moves the toddler and steps under the icy waterfall to readjust the temperature. Toddler is pleased and Mommy can finish up and get out to let him play a bit more while she dries and dresses.
Mommy: "Time to get out. I'm turning the water off."
Toddler: "Back ON! No water off!"
Mommy: "It's time to get out and dry off. Then we can get a bagel."
Toddler: (nodding head emphatically)"Bagel. Breakfast."

I have some version of this same scene played out at least 6 days a week. (I sometimes get a solo shower on the weekend.) I know tons of people who would be horrified at the idea of having to share a shower ever, let alone almost all the time. This, however, is one of those bad mother moments where I know it's all good. He'll be too big for it and too independent all too soon...

2 comments:

Tracee Sioux, Sioux Ink: Soul Purpose Publishing said...

This is my life. Frankly, those stupid books and their 45 minute bath routines are absurdity. Our toddler takes baths and showers with every person in the whole house.

Bad Mother said...

It's nice to know I'm not alone here. I'm sure I wouldn't know what to do with a child who had to have baths alone. And I'd probably only get one shower a week... Eeek! :P