Monday, November 17, 2008

Comfort objects

I found myself thinking about comfort objects last night and wonder what other people's children pick since mine have each been so unique.

My toddler has picked a motorcycle with a man on it that has been beaten up, broken and painted yellow. He found it in the backyard a few weeks ago and has had it in his hand at least half of every day since. I'm assuming that the thing was taken outside and lost a leg thanks to the dog. So, I'm pretty sure it's only slightly more sanitary than the toilet seat. Every attempt I've made to turn him to a different favorite has been met with demands for "Cycle!!!" and you can't argue with that. He insisted on sleeping with it last night...smacking me with it several times and waking up screaming "Cycle!!!" when it fell to the floor. What a thing to pick for comfort, but they don't let us pick. We just get to be Bad Mothers for letting them have this or that or for taking away this or that...we never win, but just so long as they don't lose, I guess it's still good, right? ;)

No comments: